Readings & Themes
February 10 - Ash Wednesday
Matthew 6:1-6, 16-21
February 14 - Lent 1
February 21 - Lent 2
February 28 - Lent 3
1 Cor 10:1-13
March 6 - Lent 4
2 Corinthians 5:16-21
March 13 - Lent 5
Some questions to discuss
• There is a $20 note lying on the footpath. Do you keep it or hand it in to the police station?
• You are eating an apple in the car. Do you throw the core through the window or keep it till you get home?
• You play a musical instrument but haven’t practiced this week. You’re teacher compliments you on your playing saying you have clearly practiced. Do you own up or take the compliment?
• You receive a present for your birthday of a jumper. You don’t like it. You take it back and buy something else. Your aunt who gave it to you remarks that she never sees you in it. Do you say it is in the wash or that you returned it?
Discussion on the Genesis Reading:
1. What do we learn about God in this reading?
2. What do we learn about Abram?
Questions to ponder to match the Luke reading:
What situation are you in at present which should make you seek shelter under God's wings?
Are you trusting God or are you looking in other places for shelter and reward?
Discussion questions based on the Luke reading:
Think of a time when somebody has given you a second chance.
"Well, he/she had it coming"...Why do we say this? Is it true?
What is the point of the fig tree story and why does it follow the story of the men who dies and a call to repentance?
What is God's grace?
Click here for a devotion to match the Luke reading
Some translations of the bible say a pint of perfume but the Greek word used is litra which is around 0.5 litres. Measure out 0.5 litres. Compare this amount
to the bottle of perfumes that we get
today and the cost involved.
or click here or here for devotions based on the John reading.